If you’re a homeowner, there’s no doubt that you’ve always been told to “be prepared.” But what if you’re faced with a home flood emergency? What should you do? Home floods are a real possibility, especially if you live in an area prone to severe weather conditions.
If the emergency takes you by surprise and you do not have time to call water damage restoration services, it’s crucial to know how to act to minimize damage to your home and belongings. This blog post will share some of the best practices you should know to avoid flooding in your home and what to do in such a situation. Check this out!
How To Act When Your Home Floods
Acting fast is crucial if you see yourself involved in a house flood. Here are some steps you can follow before hiring flood damage repair services:
- Stop the water at its source: If a natural disaster does not cause flooding, locate the water’s source and try to turn it off or seal it up. The main water valve is the easiest way to stop water flow into your home.
- Evacuate the building: In case the issue is a burst pipe or sewage leak, you should ensure that everyone (kids, pets, etc.) evacuates. If a natural disaster triggers the problem, go to a temporary shelter as soon as possible.
- Start the cleanup process: If you didn’t have time to hire flood damage restoration services. Remove standing water to avoid mold issues, salvage all the personal items you can, and try to dry the space out.
4 Tips To Prevent House Floods
If you’ve not been a victim of floods and you don’t want to be, here are some tips you can follow:
- Install water sensors or flood warning systems: You can always be prepared with these systems. This way, you’ll have time to get out and leave any valves closed off.
- Clear waste from drains and ditches: Ensure your yard is raked and clean This way, storm drains are not blocked by yard elements, such as tree branches or other materials.
- Inspect and repair drains if needed: Inspect your backflow prevention valves regularly. By keeping them in good condition, you’ll avoid future issues.
- Keep sandbags on hand: Sand acts as a natural barrier against water. Keeping sandbags handy is crucial to use as protection against rising waters.
Hiring Professional Services Is Your Best Solution!
If you’re looking for trustworthy flood damage restoration services, look no further than our experts at Clean Earth Restorations. We’re a family-owned company that understands the importance of keeping your home and loved ones safe. We’ve been providing outstanding flood damage repair services since 1994, so you can trust your house is in good hands.
We are experts in recognizing, assessing, and repairing water damage of all types, including flood damage. Our water damage restoration services are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, to help you when you need it the most. You can contact us for free estimates.