Do you change the oil in your car from time to time? Yes, of course – it’s part of the necessary maintenance that keeps your car running correctly. Did you know, just like your car, your carpet requires maintenance as well? Without proper maintenance, carpet quickly becomes dull, dirty, damaged. It can also become stained and harbor allergens. Luckily all this can be avoided by sticking to a smart maintenance schedule. San Diego carpet cleaning experts, Clean Earth Restorations, gives you some tips:
- Use a doormat. (Leave us much dirt outside as possible.)
- Keep walkways swept / clean. (Don’t track in unnecessary dirt.)
- Use special shoes or slippers for inside the house, to avoid tracking in dirt and bacteria from outside. Remember as well, your bare feet have oil on them which will eventually trap dust and soil on carpets.
- Vacuum daily when possible. The build up of dirt particles is very harmful to carpet — it wears down the carpet fibers, dulls the color, and works itself down to the bottom of the pile — the “sink”. Make several passes over each area.
- Check the vacuum filter / bag regularly and change as soon as needed.
- Use the crevice tool to vacuum next to baseboards and in other hard to reach areas.
- Clean spills immediately. Try water first, then a simple detergent solvent (read here for a non-toxic method). Blot, don’t rub, the stain.
- Create calendar reminders to schedule carpet cleaning twice a year (or more, depending on traffic). Make an immediate appointment if you notice that carpet is matted, not the right overall color, or expells dust when you walk or run!
- Having regularly scheduled professional cleanings is like changing the oil in your car — it is necessary for proper functioning, and will prolong the life of your investment. Benefits include deep cleaning, professional spot removal and color correction with trained employees and industrial-force tools and product. Green Seal products are also a desirable option.