You may think that winter is the risky season for your home and business flooring, but summer brings its own challenges too. Clean Earth Restorations posts here a few tips for San Diegans about things to watch out for in the summertime, and the importance of regular residential and commercial carpet cleaning.
Weather is a main factor in winter for carpets, with its rain and tracked-in mud. Weather is also a factor in summer carpet issues — the heat drives us to beaches and pools. Of course with beaches comes sand on feet, totes, towels, and bathing suits. With pools (in many cases) comes chlorine. Both sand and chlorine are bad for carpets (and other flooring). Sand breaks down carpet fibers as its walked on and ground down into the “sink” (bottom) of the carpet pile, and chlorine acts as a bleaching agent which can break down fiber, and create faded spots and patches.
– make use of the beach showers when possible to rinse as much sand off of people and equipment before heading home.
– keep a clean dry towel in the car for brushing off extra sand before getting back in the car.
– take a large plastic bag in the trunk of your car to store sandy items that have to go inside the house, that way you’ve got one clean bag with sandy items instead of multiple sandy items dropping particles of sand on the way to the laundry room.
– for pool traffic, add an extra door mat outside and a dry towel inside the front door. If you have carpet between the pool door and the restroom, lay down dry towels as a path and make sure kids (and their dripping bathing suits) know they need to stay on it. Replace towels if they become wet enough to dampen the floor beneath them.
More Foot Traffic
Summer weather and vacation schedules mean more comings and goings in your home and business, and thus more foot traffic on your carpets.
– inspect door mats. Make sure they are clean (not dirty and thus adding to dirt being brought in) and are in good condition (not so flattened that they aren’t catching dirt).
– at home, and if you feel comfortable about it, try a “leave your shoes outside” approach to summer. Many cultures around the world leave their shoes outside all year round.
Entertainment / Spills & Stains
For the same reasons as above (summer weather and vacation schedules), eating out is a common event in the summer. Whether it be ice cream cones or fish tacos, portable eating often results in spills and stains for carpets and flooring.
– at home, make sure kids no where the “no fly” (no eating) zones are. Set up extra napkins/paper towels/ or dish cloths in areas where you know people will be spending time with food and drink.
– at home or business, always take care of spills as quickly as possible. The longer its there, the harder it will be to remove, and the more likely you will be to have a stain.
With summer heat comes more shedding for pets. Pet fur looks dirty, sticks to clothing and furniture, and brings dander with it. (Dander is a source of allergies for some people.) Carpeting holds pet fur and dirt particles better than any other flooring and requires regular maintenance.
– count on vacuuming more often in the summer months.
– add extra combing (and fur removal) to your pet’s care regime.
– when appropriate, consider having your pet’s fur trimmed (your vet can give you counsel on whether this is a good idea or not — fur, though it sheds, is also a form of protection for your pet’s skin and body temperature).
Schedule Your Carpet Cleaning in Advance
Carpet cleaning is a necessary part of the hygiene of your home or business. Professional carpet cleaning is more advanced and effective than home or rental supplies can offer, both in equipment and products, as well as in time and expertise. It’s also easy to put off when other expenses tempt or dictate your wallet. The best way to keep your home or business clean and protect our flooring investment is to get a date on the calendar. If you make a point to schedule your carpet cleaning at the end of each season, you’ll have clean, fresh-smelling floors all year long.
Make sure those “summer assaults” on your carpet of taken care of. Take advantage of Clean Earth Restoration’s carpet cleaning discount below; schedule your end-of-the-summer appointment today.