Hayfever season in San Diego is upon us but did you know that allergic reactions and asthma are often triggered by poor air quality inside the home? Professional carpet cleaning can help remove pet dander, dust mites, and other impurities that settle to the bottom layer of carpet and contribute to bad air quality in the home.
According to the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (E.P.A.) research shows that in some homes across America “the quality of indoor air can be worse than outdoor air”, possibly due to the fact that homes are being remodeled or constructed “tighter” (allowing less air to escape or enter and thus trapping bad air inside). Indoor air can be compromised by radon, second hand smoke, household products, lead dust, combustion products, unhealthy remodeling by-products, and – most commonly – biological pollutants like molds, pet dander, dust mites and cockroaches.
If you have itchy eyes, a runny nose, headaches, and fatigue it could be due to any number of things but you may have not thought of the quality of air in your home. One sure sign is if you feel better during periods away from your home.
Regarding pet dander and dust mites, the E.P.A. suggests some easy things you can do to minimize their presence. For pet dander:
- Keep your pets out of the bedroom or other sleeping areas.
- Clean and brush pets outside of your home.
- Keep pets off the bed linens, carpet and upholstered furniture.
For dust mites:
- Maintain low humidity levels ideally between 30% – 50% relative humidity.
- Use an air conditioner during warm weather, if possible.
- Remove dust often with a damp cloth.
- Vacuum carpet, fabric window coverings, and fabric-covered furniture at least once a week.
- Cover mattresses, box springs and pillows with special allergen-proof fabric covers. Avoid down-filled comforters or pillows.
- Wash bedding (such as sheets, bedcovers and blankets) weekly in hot water.
- Replace dust collecting blinds and long drapes with window shades or washable curtains.
Regular vacuuming wiith a HEPA filter equipped vacuum can help keep pet fur (and some of the dander) and dust mites on the surface of the carpet under control. Regular professional cleaning provides deep cleaning of carpet pile where allergens and irritants tend to get trapped.
Clean Earth Restorations provides professional carpet cleaning for your home and business as well as upholstery and furniture cleaning. If you suspect you may be having allergic reactions or other issues due to the quality of your indoor air give us a call for a free estimate on our services. We’ve been providing expert professional carpet cleaning in San Diego for over 16 years and would be happy to help you.