What can you do to prepare for the rainy season and avoid San Diego flood damage? Clean Earth Restorations gives you a list of things you can do.
- Clean out rain gutters. Leaves can clog water flow and send water into places it normally wouldn’t go (like the inside of a wall).
- Check your sump pump, if you have one, to make sure it is working and install a battery-powered back up.
- Review your insurance policy to know exactly what kind of flood damage your coverage includes. You may decide you want to make a change. You won’t be able to do that after a claim, only before.
- Gather your insurance documents, insurer contact information, and information (written, photographic, video) regarding your possessions as well as receipts for large purchases and put them in a safe place together (for example a safe deposit box or a water proof box).
- During large storms check regularly around the perimeter of your buildings to make sure water is not accumulating abnormally right up next to walls. Put sand bags in place if necessary.
- If you live in a part of the county where the temperature regularly dips down to or below freezing, insulate pipes close to outside walls, attics or crawl spaces to avoid freezing and pipe bursts.
- Prepare an emergency kit and discuss with family members how you will communicate in the event of an emergency.
If you do experience a flood in your home, know that we can help! We are San Diego’s flood damage specialist. We regularly work with insurance companies to make sure homes and businesses get back to normal.