We did it everybody, we made it through 2018. While it seems like the state of the world is constantly in turmoil, and things seem to be as unpredictable as ever, there are still things we can do in our own lives to help give us piece of mind as we transition into the new year. Here at Clean Earth Restorations, we want to help make that transition seamless and easy, and help you start off 2019 with confidence. So here is a list of resolutions to kick off the new year, and help keep your home happy and healthy.
Prepare for The Flood
As most of us know who live in the San Diego county, it basically only rains about twice a year. However, when it rains, it pours, and parts of the city can see some intense flooding. The rain also lets us know which parts of our roof are in desperate need of repair. Here is a short list of items to check off your list to make 2019 a water-damage-resistant year.
- Know where flood zones are in your area.
- Put important home appliances above expected flood and water levels.
- Review with the members of your household on how to shut off the utilities in the case of an emergency.
- Have a survival kit ready to go that includes medications, important documents, and items needed to leave the home.
- Have your roof checked at the beginning of the year for any cracks or damage.
- Speak with your insurance agent so you are well-informed on what your insurance covers in your particular area.
Prevent Fire Damage
In 2018 we saw a large amount of fires that devastated California, and with temperatures rising we are seeing drier climates and increased fire hazards. Especially during the winter months, many of us are using heating elements within our home to keep a temperate, enjoyable, and livable environment. Because of this is it super important to know how to make your home as safe as possible. We’ve compiled a shortened list on things you can do around your home to be better prepare in the event of an unexpected fire.
- Make sure every room in your home has a smoke detector.
- Know where all of the fire hazards are in your home. This includes stoves and ovens (especially gas stoves and ovens) and items around them, such as kitchen towels and cooking oils, and other items throughout the home, such as space heaters.
- Unplug space heaters when they are not in use, never leave these on for long periods of time. They typically require a lot of energy and can potentially heat up the socket and start a fire. More information is usually available on the instruction manual of the heating device.
- Know what type of heating you have in your home, and what hazards are associated with it. This is a good time to have your heating system checked for routine maintenance.
- Although less common, it could be wise to check the outlets in your home and replace plugs that are old and worn with new plugs. Extra points if they have built-in surge protectors. And while you’re at it, make sure that the outlets aren’t being over-burdened with too many plugs. If you aren’t using an appliance, unplug it (this can also save you some $$$ on your electricity bills).
- Never use appliances like stoves or ovens to heat your home.
- Have a safety plan in place in case of an emergency, including an evacuation kit, evacuation routes, and meet up location away from the home.
- Have a full fire extinguisher in your kitchen and garage. Fire extinguishers can expire, so make sure that they are full and up to date.
Take Good Care of Your Carpets
This is an easy one, and a great way to keep your home happy and looking clean. Get your carpets professionally cleaned! It is always a good idea to get your carpets professionally cleaned multiple times a year to keep them healthy. The beginning of the year is a great way to keep up with any other resolutions you may have, such as keep your home more tidy, having guests over more often, or planning for any new renovations. To schedule a carpet cleaning, give us a call at 619-284-4239 or contact us at cleanearthrestorations.com.
Hopefully some of these tips will help give you some great action items to charge into the new year with confidence, and from all of us here at Clean Earth Restorations, we wish you a very happy and safe new year. See you all in 2019!
Start off the new year with carpets that look new! Enjoy this discount on carpet cleaning!