Above ground pools offer many advantages over in-ground pools including ease and cost of installation but they have one big potential disadvantage — collapsing and flooding the property. Clean Earth Restorations offers a few tips on set-up and maintenance that can help you avoid this kind of water damage. San Diego is pool country, no matter what time of year, so don’t let a pool collapse rain on your parade!
Tips for Where to Set Up
- choose a level area. A slanted foundation will cause more pressure on one side of the pool than the other (and make one side deeper), threatening the pool’s stability
- double check you’ve cleared out rocks, roots and any other pointy objects (glass, tools, etc) that could potentially pierce the lining, causing a leak and eventual collapse
- making a sand foundation to place the pool on will protect against any sharp objects you’ve overlooked, and will make the bottom of the pool more comfortable to stand on
Tips for Assembly
- read the manufacturer’s instructions before you set up the pool, even if you think you know how to assemble the pool without them. The manufacturer will alert you about anything in particular you need to know regarding their particular model and design
- make sure the lining is evenly and smoothly adjusted before filling the pool. A very wrinkled liner may detach from the walls.
Tips for Ongoing Maintenance
- Wear and tear, and exposure to the elements will cause corrosion and loosening of parts. Check connections (bolts) frequently and re-tighten as necessary. Paint any corroding metal parts with weather-proofing paint or check with the manufacturer for recommended upkeep or replacement. Loose or weak parts will cause the structure to collapse!
Tips for Use
- Use the pool’s ladder to climb in and out of the pool
- Do not try to sit on or straddle the pool’s walls
- Do not use pool toys with sharp points or edges
- Do not bring animals (with sharp nails) into the pool
Collapsed above ground pools can cause serious water damage to the outside AND the inside of your property. Here’s one example: http://www.news9.com/story/14970839/claremore-family-experiences-flash-flood-thanks-to-worn-out-pool
At Clean Earth Restorations we specialize in water damage clean up and restoration and have crews on call 24/7 for water emergencies in San Diego County. We offer extensive expertise working with agents and adjusters on all aspects of your insurance claim. We provide professional services for residential, commercial and industrial clients.Contact us today for any of your water damage needs.