If You Don’t Clean the Lint In and Around Your Clothes Dryer, You Risk a Fire
According to the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, more than 15,000 fires are caused every year by clothes dryers. Clean Earth Restorations offers their customers/residents in San Diego fire damage tips that may save a home (and lives).
- A build up of lint in a clothes dryer (in the filter, around the machine, or in the vent hose) traps heat and causes the machine to overheat.
- The lint itself is flammable and becomes fuel for fire when the machine overheats to the point of causing a fire.
- It takes only a few minutes for the fire to engulf a laundry room, which typically stores other flammable items such as more laundry.
- NEVER leave your dryer on while you are asleep or not at home!
- Clean your lint filter EACH time you dry a load of laundry.
- If you see any lint in the filter holder, clean that out as well.
- Check BEHIND and around the machine for lint.
- Replace (flammable) flexible plastic vent hoses with metal vents where possible.
- Do not stock or store items on top of the dryer. They may enhance the speed and intensity of a fire.
Have a look at the Today Show video below which talks about all these points and interviews a family that lost EVERYTHING when their dryer caught on fire while they were not home.
If you want more evidence that lint fires in dryers are common (and avoidable), click this link to see the current results of a Google News search on “lint fire dryer“.
CLEAN EARTH RESTORATIONS OFFERS FIRE AND SMOKE RESTORATION IN SAN DIEGO
Clean Earth Restorations is a family owned and run business with 20 years of service to the San Diego area. We specialize in fire and smoke restoration and endeavor to pass on recommendations and tips based on what we see in the field — please make sure you clean your lint from around your dryer. It may save your home and the lives of those you love!
Need help with a recent fire scene? We are a licensed general contractor with expertise in fire remediation and smoke removal. Contact us today for a free estimate: