After a fire has been put out or a flood has been drained away in your home or office, the damage may still continue. Smoke from fires can sink into your possessions causing damage weeks after the fire has been put out. And water that has occupied your home or office can cause mold if not cleaned up properly.
Not to worry, though, if you stick with these easy to follow steps you will be able to prevent smoke and water damage from spreading in your home.
For smoke damage you will want to:
- Air out the damaged area, allowing for the smoke to escape
- Clean any surfaces that may have been affected by the smoke
- Seal off any area that you cannot reach to clean so that the odor does spread
For water damage you should follow the following steps:
- Remove any possessions that are completely soaked, moving them to a dry open area so that they can dry without developing mold
- Air out any room affected by the water, using fans can speed up this process
- Watch out for any mold developing, and for more information on mold restoration read out post, “Mold Damage Restoration: How Should I Handle the Mold?”