Here are some simple tips from Clean Earth Restorations on preventing accidental fire this summer in San Diego.
Inside the Home
- Keep a working fire extinguisher in the kitchen.
- Disconnect curling irons, hair dryers, and irons when not in use.
- Turn off the clothes dryer before leaving home.
Outside the Home
- Clear 100 of feet of brush and any other flammable things away from the home (this is called “defensible space”). It’s actually the law.
- Consider adding fire resistant plants to your landscape if you don’t have some already. Here is a list of fire resistant plants easily found in California: http://www.bewaterwise.com/fire02.html
- Keep your outdoor fire pits covered with mesh screens to avoid sparks from igniting nearby dry brush.
- Avoid mowing dry weeds in extreme heat. The machines you use to mow with may spark fires.
Out and About
- Pay close attention to posted fire regulations when hiking and camping. Camp fires are sometimes forbidden due to drought conditions.
- Make sure to dispose of hot coals in designated containers when BBQing on public beaches or in pubic parks.
- Make sure everyone around your recreational fire knows how to “stop, drop, and roll” in the event of clothing catching on fire.
At Clean Earth Restorations we hope you will not encounter any accidental fires, but if you face fire in your home or business we are here to help you cope. We have the experience and technical knowledge to help you recover from the secondary damage caused by fire, smoke, and water. We are fire and smoke restoration experts in San Diego and are also experts in representing our clients to their insurance companies. Call us today for a free consulation.