Helping a loved one with clutter cleanup when they struggle with hoarding can be complicated. Compulsive hoarding has a number of warning signs including:
- Inability to throw things away
- Keeping clothing that is never worn
- Compulsive shopping with lots of unused new items
- Person no longer allowing visitors into their home
Clutter is also one sign of many that a family member or loved one could have a serious hoarding problem.
Helping a hoarder is a very delicate process and should not be taken lightly. There are a wide range of reasons why people begin to hoard, so each case will be different from the last. With this in mind, when helping a loved one with clutter clean up it is best to hire a professional. When professionals get involved there is a higher chance of success of helping the hoarder return to a healthier and happier living situation.
When hiring a professional to help with your hoarding situation you should look for a company that will:
- Package and store personal belongings
- Search and recover valuables
- Dispose or disinfect anything that can be considered unhealthy including animal urine and hypodermic needles
For more information on how to help a loved one who is struggling with hoarding click the button below to receive our full fact sheet on hoarding.