If you are trying to help someone you care about deal with hoarding, and animals are involved, it can be an especially difficult situation that requires compassion and action. Clean Earth Restorations is the San Diego expert in resolving animal hoarding situations. We understand the complexities of the situation, and can work with you and your loved one to help resolve the issue.
Animal hoarding is considered keeping a larger than usual amount of animals in your home without the ability to properly care for and feed them. There are minimum standards for nutrition, shelter, veterinary and sanitation for pets in our homes. In a hoarding situation, most hoarding truly believe they are helping the animals, but they are actually unable to provide adequate care. It’s a complex issue that involves the well being of the animals, the mental health of the hoarder, and sometimes even public safety issues.
According to the ASPCA, there are important signs to indicate someone is an animal hoarder. These include:
- Numerous animals in the home and the owner may not even know how many are there
- The home is in bad shape (dirty windows, broken furniture, run down property, lots of clutter)
- A strong smell of ammonia and evidence of dried feces, urine, vomit, etc.
- Fleas and other vermin are present
- Isolation: the person stays to themself and appears to neglect their own person
- Person insists all of the animals are happy and healthy – even when what you see says otherwise.
Animal hoarding can include all kinds of animals, from cats and dogs to reptiles, rodents, birds, exotic animals — even farm animals. Your local humane law enforcement department can be notified if you have concern about someone hoarding.
If the person is ready for help, or you are dealing with a property after a hoarder has passed away, Clean Earth Restorations is a great option for helping restore the property. We are certified in dealing with biohazard cleanup (a specialty that most companies in town do not have). This means we understand the complexity of the situation and can advise you on how to best proceed.
Call us today for a free assessment and evaluation of your situation, by clicking the button below: