Christmas it’s the most beautiful time of the year, but every year, a Christmas tree fire will ruin someone’s holiday (or life). We hope this never happens to you. In the last years, we have seen and remediated a lot of San Diego fire damage and want to urge you to avoid this holiday catastrophe by following 3 very simple rules.
Tips To Avoid A Fire On Christmas
- Water your tree EVERY DAY. Christmas trees can absorb up to a gallon of water a day, and quickly become dry and brittle if not watered. A dry tree is dangerous because it can catch on fire easily. Watch the video below to see how quickly a dry tree can catch fire.
- Keep your tree at least 3 feet (0.91 m) away from heat sources (like space heaters). One in four Christmas tree fires are caused by being too close to a heat source.
- Do not overload your tree electrically — 1/3 of Christmas tree fires are caused by electrical problems. Be sure and read the manufacturer’s instructions on how many light strands you can connect.
Another fact to keep in mind is that the top 3 days for home candle fires are Christmas Eve, Christmas Day and New Year’s Day.
Follow these simple candles rules to keep your home and family safe:
- When possible, use flameless (battery-operated) candles.
- If not possible, then be sure to keep candles at least 12 inches (0.3 m) from other objects.
- Always blow out burning candles, or turn off Christmas tree lights, before leaving or going to bed.
For more information on fire safety, visit National Fire Protection Association’s “Christmas Safety Tips”.
Clean Earth Restorations Can Help You
We specialize in fire damage restoration and cleaning. If your house or business has been heavily damaged by fire, we can help you move forward with a better life. We are experts at creating a safe, clean, and healthy living environment for our customers, so give us a call today!